Thursday, September 4, 2008

Day of Rest

Well, God does have amazing planning skills! He knew we would be exhausted and ready for some down time away from church construction and feeding stations. We are going to do some market shopping and lunch before heading to a game park for a sunset dinner in the bush. I know we will be replaying all of the events and faces from the last few days in our heads as we step away from the hard work for just a few hours.
We should be ready for foundation concrete to be poured for phase 1 of the church building today or first thing in the morning. Yesterday, we bought some extra tools (basically a heavy steel rod with a sharp point to break the hard African dirt) and that made our job run a little faster. However, it was incredibly hard dirt and the sun was a little warmer yesterday.
Some of the crew cleaned the feeding station (a little overdo) and made a big difference there. We all helped with the feeding station again and then took the kids back to the church yard for more fun with hula hoops, jump ropes and soccer balls. We also got to witness their Awana program in the church yard that would inspire any program back in the States to make do with what you have!
To top it off last night, we enjoyed the greatest of foods here in Africa -> Pizza!!! Of course, I kid a little but we did go to a pizza place in Gaborone that was very tasty and filling for all. I am using the business center computer and now have to end my session. Know that we are having the experience of a lifetime here with our brothers and sisters and continue to ask for your prayers for safety, comfort and effectiveness! God is doing amazing work here and it is the greatest joy to be here and be a part of it all.

In His Steps,

Mark

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi guys this is uli from chil. I am glad that you guys made it in to botswana. I am praying for you and hope that you had a great trip so far.If you can't really remember me i was stuck on the delta flight with you. You are blessed! My email. uli@mail.org

Clay Smith said...

Thanks for all the comments. I love hearing how God is using you in amazing ways. I'm proud of you!

Clay(ton) Smith

Unknown said...

The Shipes gang is really missing their Daddy. But we are thankful that GOD is using you and everyone else on the trip for Him!! I know the work is hard - But I know that you are loving every minute of it! We love you and miss you very much:)
Tonya

Unknown said...

daddy i miss you so much. i can write half of my spelling words in cursive. from parker

Unknown said...

Mark

Tricia wanted me to let you know she has not had any phone service since Wed. Go AT&T!
She said she will try to go somewhere tomorrow and email you. All is well on the home front - she just wanted you to know why you haven't heard from her in a few days.
Miles just played me every song he knows on the piano and the bass!! :-) Dylan was at Nick's house and Shadow was sleeping. :-)

You guys have a safe trip home.

love ya,

Amy

The Brighter Side of Things said...

Mark

Glad to hear you guys are safe and having a good time. Can't wait to hear the little details about the trip. Keep up the energy and have a blast.

See ya when you get back
Mark

Tricia said...

Mark,

Hooray! I have phone service and email again! Praise Jesus God helps us with the little things.

I just emailed you.

I love you.

Tricia